My day with the President

Wednesday May 23, 2007 - New London


President George W. Bush was the keynote speaker at the Coast Guard Academy's graduation this morning, and I, as usual, was right in the middle of it. I was swimming in the press pool for most of the day and even got to ride in the President's motorcade. It was quite an afternoon.


This is the best part of good access, normally I would have been looking at the backs of everyone head all day.


Tim Cook, International Man of Mystery, a legend in my own lunch time.


A banner Presient...get it..."banner"..."President"... yea, I know, don't quit your day job...or job at The Day for that matter.


This is as close as I got to the President all day...and I was looking the other way. Kidding of course, I already got the shot I wanted and all I would have got from this angle is the hand railing...which might have been cool...oh well.


So I was considered "Local Media Pool" which means "Back of the Bus", here is my veiw of the motorcade. My van was only followed a tumbleweed, an ice cream truck, and that guy from Laugh-in wearing the yellow raincoat on a tricycle...just kidding, but I was in the last press van.


"Is there a photographer in the house?" The President was rumored to be around today, but I could not find him through the throng of cameras.


And last but not least, the President showed his approval by revving the engines on Air Force One, sand-blasting the crowed at Groton-New London Airport. Note to self: watch out for jet wash.

3 comments:

John Galayda said...

Hey Tim,

I just found your blog...great stuff and great to see you on here.

-John

Tim Cook said...

I have been blogging for a while with my fire photography blog and of course the clips. This is just my latest endeavor. I kept watching Ross's and your blogs thinking "why am I not doing that"

Kate, Lendell and Naomi said...

This picture cracks me up! So good to see you all this weekend. As ever, I am humbled by your photos.