Favorite photos from the Equality Ride

Tuesday May 1, 2007 - Here are some of my favorite photos (well most of them anyhow, some may have gotten lost in the 3000 images that I took) from my time aboard the Soulforce Equality Ride bus last week. I find myself wanting to go back. It was great to have a such an engaging assignment and to be surrounded by such passionate and spiritual people.

This is a photo of Bronwen Tomb of New London. Bronwen had been writing a live blog for The Day's website and is the reason that we went on the trip. I just love the look on her face in this shot, and so did all of my editors.


Rider Joey Heath got a little emotional as we left the hotel on the final day in Minneapolis. It was difficult for me to shove my camera in the face of someone crying...but it had to be done.


This is a portrait of rider Robin Reynolds. She was just awsome to get to know. I have met few people in my life that are as spiritual and as filled with the holy spirit as she is.

Here is Robin doing what she does best, explaining how God has worked in her life to those who may or may not understand. At Calvin College many of the riders took part in a campus knitting group. When our writer asked Robin if she knitted her reply was "KNIT...I don't knit...I politic!"


These are the religious tattoos of transgender rider Angel Collie.


This student (left) lost her job at a day care center for interacting with the riders in this positive manner. Just think you can still lose your job for shaking hands with a gay person.

This is just a fun parting shot of Bronwen and rider Greg Johnson. This was our final day at Mankato State University. It sums up the joy found at the end of the road.


Here are the links to The Day's online slideshows and the article about the trip:

Standing up for Equality

Portraits of the Equality Riders

No comments: